Sunday, February 2, 2014

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian

Junior is a native american adolescent who lives on a Spokane Indian reservation, or as they call it, "the rez". He was born with many mental disorders - in his words: "water on the brain" because of the execs fluid in his skull. He is made fun of by everyone but his best friend. He is the smartest kid in his school, and he knows the school and the rez will never allow him to live life to the fullest - se he transfers schools. He goes to an all white school in the neihboring farm town. Junior must face the alien world in his new school, facing ridicule from his new classmates and being thought of as a traitor from his previous classmates.

This book really was nothing that special. Mostly because it didn't feel like new material - it was a little like a mix of" he Rock and the River" and "The Wednesday Wars" just not as good as either. It was nice, kind of funny, but really just another coming of age story, except this one is about a slightly mentally handicapped Native American boy. The comics were a plus I guess - but I didn't care for that either. This book was not really for me, but if you feel like reading another coming of age story, this is not a bad place to look.

4 comments:

  1. I was wondering about reading this book - it seemed like people liked it enough - but since I have a lot books that are on my TBR list, I will take your word for it and not read it in the coming future

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know a lot of people that have read this book and some of them liked it some some of them didn't. It doesn't sound like the book for me, but thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, some people do say that it's great but mostly people just say that it's ok. Maybe I'll read it someday, maybe I won't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought that it was a good book, but yeah it has its problems :P

    ReplyDelete