Sunday, September 22, 2013

The Two Deaths of Daniel Hayes

The Two Deaths of Daniel Hayes - Marcus Sakey

Mystery/ suspense

A man wakes up on a beach naked and cold, close to death. He crawls out of the water, and stumbles over to an unlocked BMW to warm up. The thing is - he does not know how he got there, or even who he is. Upon further investigation of the car, he finds clothes that fit him perfectly, an drivers license with a picture of him on it, and several hundred dollars cash. The drivers license lists Malibu, California as his home, so he heads there - to find out who he is - and why he awoke naked on a beach on the other side of the country.

This book was exciting and entertaining, and I did enjoy it to an extent. However, I would not recommend this book to classmates. It includes swearing, some violence, and mature references. The plot line of the book also wasn't all that intriguing, even though the beginning was very captivating. This book just isn't anything special, and I'm not sure how happy your parents would feel about you reading it.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review! I might have read it if it wasn't so mature. I am not sure if my parents would be ok with me reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am absolutely sure that my parents wouldn't like me reading anything that a classmate lists as "Mature." Too bad the plot isnt very good

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds good, but I guess it isn't. My parents would'nt let me read it anyways, probably.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like a good book, I love how you described it! My parents prob wont let me read it though

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hook was really good actually and it seems like something i would want to read. I dont think I will read it though because you said it was boring. I am a little curious about what happens though. Could you maybe tell me sometime during class?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This. Sounds. So. COOL!
    Okay, after that initial reaction, I think the title definitely is an attention-grabber, as well as the way you started off with that description. Sounds like something that will find it's way to the top of my TBR! And just a tip for everyone who said their parents probably won't let them read some more mature things: You've probably read, seen, and heard more than they want you to already, so unless you know for sure they'd dead-on oppose it, sometimes it's safe to explore a little. Just a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what, that is a really good point. Well said Hopper. If you do want to read this book, there is one particular conversation that sticks out in my mind that was... not suitable for young children. I can warn you ahead of time if anyone is worried but also really wants to read the book.

      Delete