Sunday, October 13, 2013

Forgive me, Leonard Peacock

Mathew Quick

Drama

It's Leonard Peacock's eighteenth birthday. It's also the day Leonard will kill his former best friend, and then kill himself. No one remembers his birthday, not even his mother who he barely sees. Before the murder-suicide, Leonard must give presents two his four best friends; Meaningful presents to show them how much they meant to him. He goes throughout his un-remembered eighteenth birthday dishing out his personal items - secretly hoping someone will save him, even notice him - before he ends it all.

It's hard for me to describe my emotions on this book. It was powerful, intense, and thoughtful. In the book, the main character discusses deep topics - like if adults are really happy with their lives, and if life ever becomes worth living. That being different is okay, admirable even; and that there is always a light at the end of the tunnel. This is a good book - thought provoking, and has increasing tension and intensity throughout. It is on the mature side, featuring somewhat adult language, references and themes, and the book is pretty dark; but nevertheless, I would highly recommend this book.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds good. I will put this high up on my TBR list. I would be glad to read a thought provoking book instead of just a great story

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, but don't get me wrong, this book has a great story too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might have to read it! Do you think I would like it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you should wait until next year - it's a pretty tough book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I might wait a little, but it sounds really good

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds intensely awesome, and really deep. I want to read it really badly. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete