Sunday, October 20, 2013

Life As We Knew It

Life As We Knew It

Susan Beth Pfeffer

Science Fiction

It was a normal Wednesday for Miranda and her family. She took the bus to school, went to classes, and went to swim practice after school. Her Mom picked her up, and they invited Mrs. Nesbitt over to watch the meteor hit the Moon. People gathered in their yards with their lawn chairs and picnic blankets, having no idea what would happen at 9:37 that evening. There was something the astronomers hadn't calculated correctly - when the meteor hit the moon, it was pushed closer to Earth. Immediately the tides raised and lowered to extreme levels across the globe, killing millions. Earthquakes and freak storms ravaged the planet. Electricity was lost. Phone lines down. Grocery stores ransacked. Chaos in the streets. It was the beginning of the end.

I enjoyed this book a lot. It was intense, exciting, and sad. Many post-apocalyptic novels take place after the cataclysmic event, which makes this book stand out. It also seemed very realistic which made the fear very real. This book is not a very difficult read, and I think it would be suitable for anyone in the class. I would definitely recomend this book.

8 comments:

  1. I liked this book also and strongly support everything you said. What is ur book next week gonna be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I SO badly want to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like an amazing book! The way the entire thing is influenced by the tide makes it sound amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds pretty awesome. I will add it to my TBR list

    ReplyDelete
  5. I first heard of this book a couple of years ago and I still haven't got to reading it. No one has explained fully what happened, so I appreciate your recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this siund REALLY cool TBR list here i come

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this book. It's such a different perspective on an apocalyptic event. I liked the second book even better.

    ReplyDelete