Friday, December 13, 2013

Slice of Life

I reach to top of the burm, the rows of houses, the buildings in the distance, and the great, majestic, snow capped mountains emerging from behind grasses that gently sway in the wind. It takes my breath away. I begin to walk along the top of the burm, observing to gracefully winding creek to my left, and the neighborhood to my right. A soft breeze swirls around me, and I put in my earphones. I am lost in my music, admiring the unnoticed beauty of the sights around me.

I stroll down the burm, walking along the busy road where fellow student are being driven home - 11th, then walking along the rows of houses I observed minutes before. After ten minutes, I reach Quebec and Carefully cross the street. A man and his son walk in from of me, peering back down the street, hurrying to get to a bus stop I assume. I hope they make it in time. I continue into the neighborhood of Mayfair, and walk past the school. Memories of this neighborhood bounce around in my mind, and it brings warmth to my heart. Students mill about, softly talking to one another.

I finally get across Monaco, where I walk between the tall trees and under their long, twisting, knobbly branches that claw at the bright blue Colorado Sky. I am careful to walk half a block down to get on the right street. I reach the big, black, shaggy dog that always barks at me and I smile, because I remember once more how he has made a full recovery. I then drift through my neighborhood, my feet growing tired, my thought no longer on the sweeping views I can see from the burm - now I think of home. I see my street in the distance and feel like this road keeps stretching on and on before me. Finally I reach my street, and I take a right. Finally I am home, and I unlock the door, and make a sigh of relief.

4 comments:

  1. Wow.This was really good and really descriptive, and I liked how you did it on something that happens every day, not something particularly special or once-in-a-lifetime or amazing. that's really cool. Nice Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize your walk was so long. I loved walking home from my bus stop after school and the familiar parts along the way and little diversions that could occur. Great descriptions and expressing of feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely, Aaron. Such great detail. It makes me think of my own walk home and observations as I stroll along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome descriptive detail, nice job.

    ReplyDelete