Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Monster

Steve Harmon is a sixteen year old African American who lives in Harlem. He is being tried for his role in a drug store robbery that ended in murder. Because of his love and talent for film making (he enjoyed making amateur films before the robbery) he decides to write a story of himself - except as a script (with dialogue, camera angles, etc.). Throughout the book, Steve walks us through his conversations, and the trial itself and the events surrounding it through script form.

My brother recommended this book to me, and I am very glad he did. Although I would have liked to have a book with more descriptions, this one was great. It had a very interesting and intense story, toped with a unique format of story telling. I also enjoyed the underlying plot line in the book - Steve's inner turmoil about whether or not he is a "Monster" like he has been accused of. This book is an easy, exciting and intense read - and I really enjoyed it.

2 comments:

  1. that books sounds weird and cool Maybe I'll read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, i agree with Lydia, it does sound complicated and weird, but also kind of interesting.

    ReplyDelete