Sunday, November 3, 2013

Island of the Blue Dolphins

Island of the Blue Dolphins

Scott O'Dell

If you looked at the island from above it would appear to be a big fish sunning itself an the sea. Hence the name the island of the blue dolphins - or perhaps the name comes from the blue dolphins that cluster around the island. The island has little plant life, and the rocks are smooth from the driving wind and current. The inhabitants of the island are the citizens of Ghalas-at, a native american village. It is at least forty-five leagues away from Santa Barbara and the Californian coast - and many of the villaigers have never even been off the island, which is why they were shocked when a great ship with billowing white sails came to their island. It took the villagers away to the east - but one girl was left behind. Her name was Karana, and she had grown up on the island - but until that day, had never lived there alone... or been so lonely. Would the boat ever come back? would she ever see her family again? would she survive all alone?

I was sitting alone in my room on Thursday night, having the unlucky fortune of forgetting to get a book from school. I searched my room until I found this book - so I had to read it. The story was rather depressing, and the writing style was flat and uninteresting. The most interesting thing about it was that it is based on a real island, and a real girl who was stuck there for eighteen years. Ouch. It was also a little young for me, and anyone else in our class. I would only recommend it if you find yourself stuck without a book on a Thursday night like I was. Other than that scenario which I would try to avoid if I were you, don't read this book.

2 comments:

  1. I read that book about a year ago, and completely agree with the fact that it is rather boring

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have herd some good things about this book as well as some bad things, but I haven't read it.

    ReplyDelete