Saturday, November 16, 2013

The Pact

The Pact

Non-fiction

George, Sam and Rameck grew up in Newark, New Jersey in the 1980's. They are african-american. None of them had a father that was continuously at home, one's mother was addicted to cocaine, another never received a substantial education. All grew up relatively poor - gunshots and sirens filled the streets, fights and drug deals happened around every corner, and their families went weeks at a time with no electricity. The Pact is their story - their struggle to survive in a hostile environment, with little to no hope of a stable future; living a life where many people around them never finish high school, and commonly resort to crime just to get by. However, in their senior year they make a decision that will change everything. A pact. A pact to become doctors.

So far I really have nothing bad to say about this book. More than that, I highly recommend it. Most books we read are for pleasure - for the fun of reading them. This book not only engrosses you, but it could potentially make a large difference on your life. It is inspiring, and motivational - a story about how three men managed to beat the odds and claw their way to the top. I very highly recommend this book.

4 comments:

  1. Aaron,
    This blog entry is beautifully written. Before your reading your entry I was interested in reading this book, but not to a degree that I would put it high on my TBR list. Now, because of you, that has changed. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this one sounds pretty interesting. I will see about reading this one

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have liked the book too. I look forward to the end! (I am obviously in your book group)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well written blog post Aaron. This book is on semi-high priority on my TBR list. So far it sounds like a lot of people like this book.

    ReplyDelete