Saturday, March 1, 2014

SOLSC 1/31



I race through the darkness, the small spot of light in front of me growing slowly larger. A figure stands under the lamp post, and they don't know I'm coming for them. The pine trees create an array of shadows on the grass in front of me. As I begin to enter the orange lint, they see me. Immediately, they turn and dart out from under the orange light of the lamp post, an into the shadows. I change my course and speed up - no point in being quiet now. My eyes are locked on them, as I draw closer, and closer. They know I'm coming, and they know they won't get away.

On the final approach, they realize just how close I am. As we run under the trees and into the darkness, they make a swift turn and duck under a branch. I see it just in time to duck. I strain to speed up, and I can tell they are getting uncomfortable. They make another sharp turn around a bush. I narrow in. They round the bush and run deeper into the darkness. I lunge froward but miss them. I am so close to catching them - and their breathing is heavy. They don't have much longer. I make a final lunge and snatch the rag that hangs from their belt loop. They slow to a stop, and kneel down, trying to catch their breath. 

"You're dead." I say.

"I know." They respond, and sulk off to the playground, where the other "dead" players await.

I sneak off into the darkness, and search for another.

4 comments:

  1. Great job of building the suspense through the slice! I really enjoyed your description and could very well envision what was going on. Happy Slicing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your writing is always such fun to read, so well written and captivating. I love that you never explicitly say what you are doing, but rather let your descriptions tell the story for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah buddy we killed in that game

    ReplyDelete