Wednesday, March 5, 2014

SOLSC 5/31



On the last full day to my class trip to the South Eastern U.S., we went to Fort Sumter, (what was left) in Charleston, South Carolina. Fort Sumter is an island just off the coast, so we had to take a ferry there, which meant there was a specific time we had to leave in order to catch the ferry back. We spent over an hour on the island, journaling and exploring. Just before we left, I walked over to some cannons to write down some quick notes before we left. The cannons were right by the door, so I tried to quickly get as much as I could as other classmates began to walk towards the door. A friend behind me called to me and said:

“Aaron, lets go!”

“Just a minute!” I replied back.

I copied down one last sentence, and quickly turned around and started walking forward swiftly. What I was not aware of was that there was an elderly couple behind me, and when I turned around I walked right between them. I thought it was okay until I felt a light tap on my legs. It was a cord from the elderly woman’s oxygen tank, and the cord was knocked out from her nose as I walked into it.

For the first half a second I thought she was about to start suffocating right there, but she didn’t. Instead the turned around, and seemed un aware of what had happened. The elderly man behind her who wheeled the tank was obviously upset, and bent down to grab the cord. I was very embarrassed and nervous, so I started apologizing, and I just stood there not knowing what to do.

Jason said: “Help them!” In a kind of nervous voice.

I asked if they needed help but he waved me off, so finally I walked away as people started to stare. Hands down one of the most embarrassing moments of my life.


2 comments:

  1. That must have been awful! I loved the slice though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we need to keep you away from elderly people and children. But your post is very well written. I love the description of Jason's tone of voice. I can hear him saying it and it makes me laugh.

    ReplyDelete