Sunday, March 16, 2014

SOL 16/31

The lights went out, and they crept out onto the stage. dim blue light illuminated the stage just enough for me to see the dark figures mill about the stage swiftly, placing set pieces and moving props. I could care less about the play, I didn't really understand a lot of it anyway. Antigone was just not that interesting for me in the second grade. However, those secretive people that snuck around in the dark were super cool. They were so mysterious, and well, just, seemed pretty chill. I wanted to be one.

"Okay, it's a scene change after this song!" Kendal yells out, and we all take a quick glance at the TV, which shows the actors running across the stage and dancing in their animal costumes.

We run into the dark doorway, and to our next jobs. I walk past the rows of curtains as I hear the last few lyrics and music notes, before he lights fade and die. In the darkness, I reach for the flat and lift. I carry it, feeling my way through curtains. I step on stage, and up on the platform, bathed in dim, warm light. I set the flat, and I can almost sense the hundred people that watch me. I swiftly fall back into the curtains and back into the Myg. Another change done right. Now I can relax. I thank back to that time in second grade when I wanted to be one of those dark figures that runs around in the dark, and how mysterious they were. I smile to myself, and go to my next job.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, I know just what you mean! All the magic that happens between scenes - just so cool! How awesome that now you're doing what you thought was so cool in 2nd grade. I like how you crafted this piece - a memory, a hook, a description of now. Great writing! My fifth graders are writing memoirs, and I'd love to show them this structure as a mentor text. Would that be okay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would definitely be okay. I'd be happy to know you used this piece.

      Delete
  2. I like how you started with a flashback, and then had dialogue to bring you back to the present, it's really effective. Also nice job with the show, the set rocked:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is a terrifically engaging piece of writing. It's a whole story in a tiny slice. A perfect mentor text. I would like to show my third graders also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought you were going to share all about 2nd grade, and it drew me into a wonderful memory connection to today, Alex. The play was wonderful, and doubly good for you in the memory. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always was in awe of the stage crew with their black and assuredness in the dark, even as I wanted to be onstage in the lights. Great slice connecting the past and present!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aaron,
    I showed this to my students and they loved how you talked about yourself as a second graders and then compared your story to today. Thanks for letting us learn from you.
    http://kidblog.org/castlebloggers2013-2014/

    ReplyDelete