Tuesday, March 4, 2014

SOLSC 4/31 Reading Blog



Luc is a teenage orphan living in the country of Gabon. Luc's Mother and Sister died of AIDS, leaving him alone, forced to serve off his mother's hospital debt to the harsh Monsieur Tatagani. Luc dreams of paying off his debts - and only when an arab professor pays them off for him is he set free. The professor (or "Prof" as Luc calls him) payed off his debts in exchange for assisting him in a study of Chimpanzee's in the "inside," or the jungle. Once they reach the jungle, Luc meets two chimp siblings named Mango and Drummer, and begins to understand and love them. However, the expedition takes a turn for the worst, and becomes a survival situation. Luc must face the dangers of the jungle - and even the Chimps themselves as he learns the ways of Chimpanzees, and learns how to survive in the harsh environment.

Going into this book, I was unsure how much I would like it because I don't usually like animal books. However, I was fairly impressed. The book had a interesting back story for Luc which was a big upside to the book, but also had a gripping and captivating plot. I grew to like the chimp characters in the book, and I was surprised by how much each chimp had it's own personality. The survival aspect of the book was also very good, and exciting. Although this book is not one I usually would read, it was good, and I would recommend it to other people in class.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a very interesting book. I definitely check it out. How long is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting would you suggest it for me.

    ReplyDelete