Sunday, March 2, 2014

SOLSC 2/31



It was the Halloween of 2013. That night, I had one of the most embarrassing experiences of my whole life. I had dressed as Burger King earlier that day, but I had taken it off. My twin brother and I were waiting at home with our friend, Deante, because it was too early to trick or treat. Another friend called, asking if he could come over because he had no other friends to trick or treat with, so we decided there was no harm in it an said he could come over.

We waited for fifteen or twenty minutes for the friend to arrive, and it began to get darker, but there was still not many people out trick or treating. Finaly, I heard the doorbell ring so I walked over towards the door. I thought I would be clever and say something funny to my friend as I opened the door, like “No solicitors!” or something. I opened the door, and in a loud but calm voice I said:

“We don’t have any candy!”

Unfortunately there was a young girl (3, or 4) and her mom, and not my friend. The mom looked suddenly sad and defeated and said:

“Oh…”

Luckily the little girl didn’t seem to notice or understand. I realized what I had done and felt sick to my stomach, and my face turned red.

“Wait, no we do, we have some, we have some candy-“ I tried to explain while being ashamed and embarrassed.


My step mom walked in wondering what was going on, wielding a bowl of candy. I saw her and my embarrassment grew, so I kept looking back and forth from her to the mom and her child, fumbling for words. Finally my step mom walked up to the door and took over, and I quickly walked away wallowing in my regret.

1 comment: