Sunday, March 9, 2014

SOL 9/31



"We just wanted to… study, or, well… do some math homework, because we're in the same math class…" I said, hoping he would agree.

"Uh - alright. But you have to actually be working - and you have to leave by 5:30."He responded, slightly unsure of his decision.

My spirits rose suddenly and I looked at her, quickly exchanging smiles.

"Okay, I can do that. Definitely." I said confidently, looking back at her dad.

"Well, I'm going to take your brother to basketball. We will be back by 6:30." He said.

They were out the door in the next five minutes, so me and her headed up to her room. We spent the first twenty or thirty minutes with our math text books in front of us, but we only did a few problems. Mostly we were just talking. Talking about our day, or whatever was on our mind. We both were having fun just talking, and spending time together. We both had no plans of me leaving at 5:30.

Time flew by, and 5:30 came all to soon. However, we did not part ways. We walked outside to the park by her house, and waited under a tree as the sun began to set. We talked some more, climbing up the tree, as the clock ticked away. By 6:10 it was almost dark, and we began to wait anxiously. I told my dad (via text) to pick me up just before 6:30 so I would leave before her dad got back, and it would appear as though I had left an hour earlier. 6:15 came and our anxieties grew some, and the sun had gone down. By 6:20, we were on edge - and getting very nervous. I texted my dad that i might tell him to pick me up somewhere else, and that he should watch his phone.

The minutes went by slowly, and we knew her dad could come home any second - it was just only five or six minutes to 6:30. Still, didn't want to separate. Suddenly, her dad's car rushed over to their drive way and pulled in at 6:25. Sarah ran towards the house, probably trying to come up with a reason to be in the park. I turned and ran away down the dark street, attempting to text my dad a new location to pick me up at. However, I was too late. Just a mere minute after her dad pulled in, I saw to my horror my own dad pulling into their driveway, just behind her dad. I sprinted back as fast as I could, hoping we could leave before he noticed. As I got to the car, her dad walked outside, staring at me.

"I thought you were supposed to be home?" He announced.

"Oh, I was walking home-" I protested.

"For an hour?" He said, questioningly.

After an awkward minute or so of scolding me for vein there and talking to my dad, her dad let us go. We drove home, and I explained what had happened.



3 comments:

  1. Scandalous! Ok, not really. But I will say it did transport me back to my high school days. Thank you for sharing this, Aaron.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! This slice so describes the realities of pushing the limits of truth and the anxiety of trying to get in every last minute of time with someone. It gets even worse when you have a car.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Kam, scandalous indeed, but I didn't fully understand what happened, but I did really like the play by play announcing of it.

    ReplyDelete