Sunday, March 23, 2014

SOL 23/31

4 8 15 16 23 42

"Dude, you should really watch this show me and my family started - it's just great."

"What's it called?"

"Lost."

I convinced my mom to take me to the video store, which was where the new Trader Joe's now sits. Once we brought it home, me and Alex had a fight over who got too use the TV. The game was on, and alex wanted to watch it very badly, but we wanted to watch Lost. Eventually he won and we took the DVD player downstairs and hooked it up to the TV there. After the first four episodes, I was hooked. Addicted. I started watching in second grade, and continued watching the discs from this video store. My brother and mom were also hooked by that point. Me and Daniel struggled with horrible internet on my mom's old laptop to watch little bits of the next episodes once we finished a disc.

By the third grade, we watched through the first three seasons. I knew almost all of the characters actors names. I ran through the plot lines over and over in my head. I studied the mythology within the show, and often sat and thought about the various deep questions I still had about the show. I wanted to know more about the island. I wanted to know more about the others. So many unanswered questions. By then, we started watching the episodes that aired on TV, and watched season four week by week, until the epic cliff hanger, which left us wondering for five or six months. I scrutinized the internet for spoilers, but I never got any. I waited and waited, puzzling over the many mysteries of the show.

Finally in the fifth grade I watched season five week by week, by which point I was a Lost fanatic. I new everything about the show (maybe not everything) and I followed along easily. I was never confused, like some people who watch the show. After another epic cliffhanger we had to wait seven months. I watched the final season also week by week. Now, after Lost has been off the air for several years, I have seen every one hundred and something episode at least twice. Lost was only the beginning of my infatuation with many shows - like Breaking Bad and Dexter. Lost was the gateway drug for me, so to speak. Anyone that hasn't seen Lost should consider watching it.




5 comments:

  1. I think my own gateway show was The West Wing. That is the show in which I fell in love with Aaron Sorkin shows. Studio Sixty. The Newsroom. Oh, the pain and pleasure of these show. Waiting for new seasons. Mourning the loss when cancelled or ended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen Lost, but I definitely have heard of it and seen advertisements for it. Everyone has a TV show that we love (if we have watched TV). Mine is probably Doctor Who.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Kam, my favorite that I've watched more than once is West Wing, but I did watch Lost too, & (you'll be sad) lost interest after the first few seasons. The problem, I didn't keep up, so didn't understand what was going on. I do think it was good, fun to hear all the years you've watched. It is fun to keep a story going-think how the writers felt when it ended!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not get into Lost, but I never watched it either. I've always loved the 30-minute sitcoms like Cheers, MASH, Friends, and The Simpsons. Loved the "gateway drug" line!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't really have a "gateway show" but I love this slice.

    ReplyDelete